Sunday 23 August 2009

Razza Lion Pendant

I love the statement necklaces that are in fashion right now. After reading Judy Aldridge's blog Atlantis Home, I was inspired to hunt for Razza jewellery, especially the Zodiac pieces. Luke Razza, a US based Italian jewellery designer was big in the 60s and 70s . He developed a technique of using painted resin/plastic with metal and the great thing is his pieces are large.  Razza jewellery is now collectible, thanks in part to the influential bloggers Judy and Jane Alridge. Prices vary — a search on eBay, reveals prices ranging from $50 to over $100 for pendants.  I've just taken delivery of my Razza Lion Pendant which I purchased from Lori Kizer's Vintage Jewellery in the US. It's fab and I can't wait to wear it.

 
Here are a couple of my other necklaces:

 
Now you'd think these two necklaces were identical, but they're not. I purchased the gold one from Alfies Antique Market in London, several years ago. It is a signed piece and the stall holder said that she had purchased it way back in the 1970s.  The black one on the right is from Missoni from about five seasons ago. It was described as the Ethnic Necklace and sold on Net-A-Porter in black and tortoiseshell (below):


Paul & Joe also produced their own version called the Illona (below):

At first I was confused and thought that Missoni had re-issued their Ethnic Necklace, but on closer inspection, you can see the difference between the pieces. My 70s orginal is made of gold metal, each piece backed with black felt. It fastens with a screw back clasp. It is closer in design to the Paul & Joe Illona.  The Missoni necklace is made of thicker plastic linked together with chunky brass rings. There were obviously no copyright infringements between Paul & Joe and Missoni on this necklace as both had possibly copied this design in first place.

No comments:

Post a Comment